Friday, December 22, 2006

for christmas, i want a slackmaster 2000

Everyone I interact with in the retail world has been bowled over by Christmas, myself included. I have already set my sights beyond, though, and after being asked to hang some paintings at Anon Salon NYE (pricey burning-man-style annual event) had to put my nose to the grindstone. Pictures forthcoming of the work that will hang there - I am working up a pair of diptychs simultaneously so we will see if 2 or 4 pieces will hang. New paintbrushes and strategic new supplies are making this a little bit less painful - I recently discovered Acrylic Flow Release and have been able to apply the colors I have only in cheap leftover theatre latex as if they were ink - as well as mixing water-soluble inks with acrylic medium and flow release to waterproof them as they are applied. Praise Be!

Meanwhile, I got tagged a while ago, and since I have been too busy to post at all Chris has had to wait. Wait no longer!

Five Things You Might Never Have Found Out About Me Otherwise

1. Once, when I was a kid, I was at a tertiary sort of extended-family Christmas and I threw a tantrum because I hadn't gotten enough presents.

2. I used to have a pet guinea pig. My older brother talked me into giving it 'carousel rides' in an old umbrella, and it threw up. Guinea pigs throw up white.

hmm, this is turning into 'embarassing things about my childhood'. Let's regroup.

3. I may be a cynic and at least partially Jewish as well as an atheist but there is something about Christmas that I really love. And no, it's not just presents. I like the goofy optimism that manages to percolate up even through ungodly gobs of gaudy crap.

4. I'm not a very good painter. No, seriously. I'm good at seeing and I'm stubborn but I'm only now, that I'm making a living at it, learning how to actually manipulate brushes and mix color. It's really hard.

5. I was a vegetarian for 8 years or so, and am not anymore. The first meat I ate on re-entry was raw tuna in Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment