Saturday, July 15, 2006

It's never what you think

After spending years predicting all the things that could go wrong in a theatrical load-in, you think I would have learned the lesson well. Anything that can go wrong, will. The problem's never where you're looking - the problems where you are looking are probably already caught.

Months ago I made an agreement with a woman in Canada to buy her Melbourne-registered domain name from her for my other project, Pandora's Trunk. It took until today to get it from her. Well, let's correct that. It took until today to get it pointed in the right direction. It's still in her name. Fortunately, the Bust magazine ad pointing to the URL should only be reaching people starting...oh, today. I don't have any fingernails left from all the nervous chewing, but things have come together. I present to you the official Pandora's Trunk website, built by yours truly using Google Page Creator.

Pandora's Trunk is my other love child, and it's closely entwined with Medium Reality. It's a show in my warehouse here in San Francisco, with hand-picked local fashion designers, artisans, food artisans, and other producers of delights, as well as a massage and spa corner, live music, and free drinks. I've produced a variety of events in the past, from straight theatrical productions, cabaret fundraisers, musical performances, to underground art shows and all-out dance parties. They all have their ups and downs, but for the most part left me cold - dance party producers turn revelers into punched numbers, into automatons of cool. Bars turn normal humans into too-drunk boors, and putting your energy into an event that features people who don't value your contribution leaves a funny taste in the mouth. I don't want to simply make commerce happen, though. I think of myself as a teenage punk rocker, looking for things that actual people were making happen, searching for human-scale events in the city around me, and I know that I need to make something whole, fun, and able to stand on its own. I'm throwing a party, where me and several other very cool people who are making unusual and excellent works, will be delighted to show you what we've been up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment