Monday, August 20, 2007

Why I don't bother trying to make it perfect

I always find myself trying to explain my philosophy on this to people at shows while hubbub murmurs and drinks slosh around us. I spoke with Jamie once about the yarn-spinning world; she explained to me that handspinners used to look to uniformity as a measure of quality but with the cheap ubiquity of machine-spun yarns the handspun world has turned to character and variations as things you can't get elsewhere. On some level this is true of all goods I think as manufactured perfection is easier and easier to access (for us on this end, at least). I don't see much point in trying imperfectly to emulate processes that I can't hope to actually match. If perfection is no longer the goal, then, what is? How can you aim for "authenticity"? Is that even a real thing? The pictures above are from a stellar series that takes you inside an apparel factory. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 I also found myself this weekend again stuttering through an explanation of why apparel manufacturing is just like engineering. I fell short there too, maybe this series can help make that connection clearer.

The sale this Sunday was packed and I made lots of good connections. More clothes made from recycled materials and lasers wandering their way off through the world. Sarah Lowe came in her truck and saved me and what was left of my merchandise from the show as the light failed.

She brought me some little nuggets of delightful trash. I have given myself part of today off and am sorting through them and searching the internet for the original owner of the dog tag. Considering doing more sketches for the Chinese Health Center Window Design That Wouldnt Die in the hopes that in return its german ringleader will translate my vial for me. It came sealed in a metal cannister with a large explanatory text on green tissue crammed inside. More pictures and the backside on my flickr.



No comments:

Post a Comment